Kapitan Glowacki


Captain Głowacki is the smallest sea-going square sailing ship in Poland. Its home port is Szczecin.

Captain Głowacki’s story began in 1944 in Świnoujście. The unit was created on the basis of the unfinished German coast guard cutter (KFK), probably built in Świnoujście (then Swinemunde). Poles who found a wooden hull after the end of the war tried to complete the construction and use the finished vessel for fishing. When this failed, in 1949 the ship was purchased by the National Center for Maritime Education and commissioned the Fishing Shipyard in Gdynia to convert it into a sailing ship. Rigged as a gaff ketch, she entered service on April 19, 1951 under the name of Henryk Rutkowski.

Read more

The sailing ship made school cruises mainly on the Baltic Sea, sometimes going further – to the North Sea. Students of the State Sea Fisherman School were trained on its deck, therefore two net trestles were mounted on the starboard side. The ship was commanded primarily by: Jan Netzel and Kazimierz Jurkiewicz, later commander of Dar Pomorza. In the years 1959-1963, the sailing ship was associated with Trzebież, then it was sent to the sailing training center of the National Defense League in Jastarnia. He returned to western Pomerania in 1970 and changed his name to Biały Słoń for a few months.
From 1975, “Rutek” was chartered by Telewizja Polska for the purpose of training young people from the Iron Shekel Brotherhood of Adam Jasser. After the first season – in September 1975 – BŻS instructors took a cruise on it to Great Britain, led by Aleksander Lipiński. The sailors visited London, Brightlingsea, Amsterdam and Copenhagen.
The period of intensive exploitation clearly affected the condition of the ketch. A general renovation was necessary, for which funds were scarce. For almost a decade (1976-1986) the ship stood “on a string” and wasted away. It was saved only by the incorporation of the Polish Sailing Association into the fleet. In 1986 “Rutek” returned to sailing, after a thorough reconstruction, which was carried out in Władysławowo. The sailing ship became a brigantine, and the color of the sails was changed to brown. The vessel’s owner was the Central Sailing Center in Trzebież.

In 1997, the owner – the Polish Sailing Association – decided to give the ship a new name. The role of the patron of the communist activist Henryk Rutkowski was replaced by the propagator of sailing in Poland, who died in 1995. books “History of world yachting”, Władysław Głowacki.
Captain Głowacki achieved his greatest success in 2014, when unexpectedly, sailing under the command of Captain Wojciech Maleika, he triumphed in The Tall Ships Races, winning both races in class A, grouping the largest sailing ships. Unfortunately, after a season full of racing laurels, the sailing ship stopped in Trzebież, waiting for better times. In August 2016, the situation became dramatic. Moored at the quay, the leaking vessel settled at the bottom of the port basin. After being picked up in October 2016, she was towed to Kołobrzeg.

The Polish Yachting Association, seeing no chance of restoring the “Głowaś” to full efficiency, announced that it wanted to sell it. The Kołobrzeg District Office showed the greatest interest. The ship was to go to the local Museum of Polish Arms, and after being pulled ashore, it would become an exhibit in the maritime open-air museum. Everything seemed settled, but in the meantime the coronavirus epidemic broke out and circumstances changed. Due to the crisis related to the pandemic, the project of placing Captain Głowacki in the open-air museum has been suspended. But PZŻ did not intend to abandon the attempt to sell the sailing ship. Few observers believed that any specific offer would affect the competition announced on April 23, 2020, after all, “Głowaś” required a major renovation, valued at up to PLN 2.5 million. It was then that Piotr Kulczycki, the owner of the brig Fryderyk Chopin, entered the game. His company 3Oceans purchased a vessel that was renovated – almost rebuilt – in Władysławowo and Puck. After the renovation, the sailing ship gained higher masts and another – fourth – yard. However, its total length is still 30.7 m.


30,7 m